getmail: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Hi,

It seems I need to discuss here before adding followings.

| Package: src:getmail
| Version: 5.13-1
| Severity: normal
| Tags: sid bullseye
| User: debian-python@lists.debian.org
| Usertags: py2keep

Upstream is active and prides to keep python 2.5 compatibility code in
it ... (Not just 2.7).  I (Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>) and dkg even
made some effort to support both 2 and 3 but the idea was rejected by
upstream in 2018.  (Then we both lost motivation since upstream will not
include such code in near future)
  https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=151542515929707&w=2

The upstream is somehow convinced that python2 will be there for some
time (Year ~2020 and later).
  https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=151542154628352&w=2
| > Python2 will be EOL after 2020.
| [...]
| > But, if getmail stays as python2 code, many distros have no choice but
| > to drop getmail sometime after 2020.
|
| Uh, no, they won't.  Python 2 may stop *development*, but it doesn't magically
| stop working in 2020.  I fully expect distros will keep shipping Python 2 for
| years after that, and undoubtedly there will still be lots of Python 2 code
| in the world running in 2030 and later.

The related binary packages are available in 2 binary names (depending on release)
 getmail4 (version=4,5) popcon installed ~2000
 getmail  (version=3,5) popcon installed ~1000

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=getmail%20getmail4&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

I think this qualifies for "py2keep".

The next upload of new upstream 5.14 should update dependency etc to
python2 instead of bare python.

If Debian and Fedora demonstrate its python3 removal, I am sure the
upstream may change his thought.  If you have some progress indicator,
that can be used to convince getmail upstream.  I or dkg need a solid
fact to restart conversation with the upstream.

Regards,

Osamu