Re: Python module packages that don't bytecompile on installation?

Paul Wise writes:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 6:04 PM Matthias Klose wrote:
>> I'd say, there are currently more pressing issues than that, like the Python2
>> removal, or the introduction of Python 3.8.  3.8 also offers a central directory
>> for bc files, so that's maybe another thing to look at, but not a priority now
>> from my point of view.
>
> Agreed re Python 2 etc. Eventually switching to using a central
> directory in /var would be nice, right now the .pyc files are dumped
> cruftily into /usr subdirs.

But /var is for variable state data, i.e. data that is modified during
regular system operation.  This isn't the case for *.pyc which follow
the same rules as the *.py included directly in the packages.

So these files should stay in /usr.  (I even think /var/lib/dpkg/info
should really be in /usr for similar reasons.)

See also http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/stateless.html for some other
reasons why not using /var might be an advantage.

Ansgar