Git, gbp blues

Hi list

I'm sorry to say but I am no friend of git for Debian packaging but I
am a big wannabe.

This page has been very helpful:
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging
It says
$ gbp pq import
which has more or less solved my problems when trying to upgrade a package.

Isn't this an error. Shouldn't it be git checkout?
$ gbp checkout debian/master
$ gbp import-orig --pristine-tar --uscan
rebase and export.

But I still find working with patch queues difficult especially with
new upstream where the old patches don't apply correctly.
I tried to do
$ gbp pq import
but it fails because one of the patches doesn't apply.
So I fixed the patches in the old way using
quilt push -f
quilt edit
quilt refresh
And after having fixed all the patches I could do
$gbp pq import
$gbp pq export
and the diff seems ok.
Is this the correct procedure?