python-confluent-kafka Python2 migration and maintenance in Debian Python Modules Team

Hi Christos,

when inspecting rdepends of python-avro I stumbled upon your package
python-confluent-kafka.  I checked whether the Python2 package has any
further rdepends which does not seem to be the case.  Thus we should
probably drop it from Debian.  While doing so I upgraded the Git
repository[1] to the latest upstream version (please inspect the
changes I did with a routine-upgrade script which makes the packaging
more conform to policy).

I'm now stumbling upon

In file included from confluent_kafka/src/confluent_kafka.c:17:
confluent_kafka/src/confluent_kafka.h:55:2: error: #error "confluent-kafka-python requires librdkafka v1.0.0 or later. Install the latest version of librdkafka from the Confluent repositories, see http://docs.confluent.io/current/installation.html";
 #error "confluent-kafka-python requires librdkafka v1.0.0 or later. Install the latest version of librdkafka from the Confluent repositories, see http://docs.confluent.io/current/installation.html";

Since you are maintaining librdkafka as well I wonder what might be
your plan to upgrade this library to its latest version.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/python-confluent-kafka

--