Re: Removing python2 packages

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:08:54 -0400 (EDT)
Scott Talbert <swt@techie.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, Ondrej Novy wrote:
>
> > út 23. 7. 2019 v 11:40 odesílatel Scott Talbert <swt@techie.net>
> > napsal: When removing leaf python2 packages for bullseye, is there
> >       anything
> >

> > __modules__ package :)
> >
> >       special that needs to be done, other than removing the
> > building of the
> >       python2 subpackage?
> >
> >       For example, obsoleting of the old package or anything along
> >       those lines?
> >

> > * check reverse-depends and "reverse-depends -b"
> > * remove from d/control
> > * remove from d/tests
> > * remove from d/rules
> > * check/remove d/python-* files
> > * test
> > * upload
>
> Thanks.  The reason I asked about 'obsoleting' is because I wondered
> about what will happen on the upgrade case.  Say, I remove python-foo
> from bullseye.  When a user running buster with python-foo installed
> upgrades to bullseye, what will happen?  Will apt try to remove
> python-foo?

Not unless something actually Breaks: or Conflicts: or the user runs
autoremove.

If a leaf package bar changes from Depends: python-foo to python3-foo,
then python-foo will remain installed. There are lots of packages in
Stretch that are not in Buster. Upgrading leaves them in place unless
there is something which actively Conflicts: or Breaks: them. That's
why autoremove is so useful after dist-upgrade.

--

Neil Williams