Re: dropping python2 [was Re: scientific python stack transitions]

On 7/9/19 12:22 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, July 8, 2019 5:45:17 PM EDT Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> How can I get debtree to use Sid instead of Buster (as I'd prefer to
>> keep this VM running Buster)? I could set this VM up and a cron job for
>> how long we need it... Though it looks like I probably have over-sized it.
>
> I think that's a useful view of the problem space, but it seems to miss some
> things.

As I wrote earlier last night, I restarted the calculation, pushing the
limits to maximum. It took 20 minutes for graphviz to calculate. Here's
the result:

http://py2graph.infomaniak.ch/py2.7.deps.svg

As you can see the graph is big in size (a large 11 MB svg file), and
large in the screen (it doesn't fit on my work's 38" screen). It's also
very hard to interpret, because too big.

The consequence I see with it, is that it's going to be really too slow
and almost impossible to do the Py2 removal the correct way in just 2
years of time. This reinforce my first impression that we unfortunately
must allow ourselves to break reverse dependencies when doing the job,
even if we should, at least, attempt to first remove Py2 from leaf
packages as much as possible.

> I think a transition tracker would also be useful (start at the top
> level, not the bottom).  I'll ask the release team to set one up.

Thanks, that'd be indeed super useful, thanks for it. Hopefully, more
than this huge graph that hardly helps the decision making process.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)