Re: dropping python2 [was Re: scientific python stack transitions]

On 2019-07-07 23:31, Matthias Klose wrote:
On 07.07.19 16:55, Drew Parsons wrote:
On 2019-07-07 22:46, Mo Zhou wrote:
Hi science team,

By the way, when do we start dropping python2 support?
The upstreams of the whole python scientific computing
stack had already started dropping it.

Good question.  I think it is on the agenda this cycle, but debian-python will
have the call on it.

you can start dropping it now, however please don't drop anything yet with
reverse dependencies.  So leaf packages first.

That a sensible order. It puts packages on the same footing as new packages, which are already forbidden by lintian from building python2 packages.

Drew