Re: Updated PEP 394 (python and python2 commands)

On May 20, 2018 9:49:27 PM UTC, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>On 05/17/2018 08:53 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> PEP 394 [1] saw an update in April 2018 [2], the diffs at [3].
>>
>> The most important change from my point of view is
>>
>> -* It is suggested that even distribution-specific packages follow
>the
>> -  ``python2``/``python3`` convention, even in code that is not
>intended to
>> +* It is strongly encouraged that distribution-specific packages use
>``python2``
>> +  or ``python3`` rather than ``python``, even in code that is not
>intended to
>>    operate on other distributions.
>>
>> I don't think there is enough time to replace all python shebangs to
>python2 in
>> time for the buster release, however there is no harm in starting
>this process
>> now.  But I'd like to get this done for buster+1, in the case we
>still need to
>> ship a Python2/2.7, so that buster+1 doesn't ship with a python
>command, but
>> maybe with a python2 command.
>
>I very much support this proposal, and don't understand why Scott and
>Piotr aren't (plus seemingly inventing things you haven't proposed).

You probably didn't notice that this is already happening (mentioned in the thread).  Not only did we not object to this, Piotr already implemented it even before Matthias suggested it in this thread.  So bottom line is this is nonsense.

There are other parts of the proposal that we are less sanguine about that you conveniently removed.  It is probably a better idea to get your facts straight before you start throwing around accusations.

Scott K