Questions about salsa and Git

Hi list

I have to admit that I have never become comfortable with the Debian Git workflow
but I know I have to learn to use it.

Following the advice on
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging

Does the following advice hold true after the move to salsa?
$ git clone git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/python-modules/tools/python-modules.git

I have cloned the eric repository.
git branch -a
* debian/master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/debian/master
  remotes/origin/debian/master
  remotes/origin/lenny
  remotes/origin/pristine-tar
  remotes/origin/svn
  remotes/origin/upstream

Is debian/master == master?
Shall I checkout and pull the pristine-tar and upstream
git checkout remotes/origin/upstream -b upstream
git pull
git checkout remotes/origin/pristine-tar -b upstream
git pull

To update the package, shall I copy the new upstream over the upstream branch,
commit and then do
$ pristine-tar commit ../srcpkgname_1.0.orig.tar.gz upstream
?

Regarding the now deprecated get-orig-source target.
Do you have any example on how to put the mechanism into the watch file?

Regards
Gudjon