Re: setup.py sdist permissions

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018, Brian May wrote:

> Hello,

> As an upstream maintainer of certain packages on pypi, it has come to my
> attention that my packages have files in the source package with
> permission 600 or 700 (and my owner and group). This is most likely
> because my umask is set to 077, because in general I prefer not having
> all my private files world/group readable.

> * Is this actually a problem for users?

> * Shouldn't sdist be ignoring my umask considering it is generating
>   packages for public consumption?

> It seems like the only known solution is to manually set umask to 022
> before calling sdist, something I am likely to forgot to do on a
> continued basis.

> Any ideas?

just anecdotal support: my umask is 077 as well, have been doing uploads
to pypi for a while, never had report from the users about any problem.
The reasons could be either it indeed doesn't matter or nobody uses my
projects ;-)

Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org
WWW:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik