Re: packaging django-rest-framework-filters

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:44:44 AM Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:41:40 +0100
>
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> > On 11/28/18 5:51 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > I'd expect at least python3-django to be in that list. Could be an
> > > upstream bug in their setup.py
> >
> > From my experience, it's always best to explicitly express the
> > dependencies manually and not rely on upstream setup.py to do things
> > correctly. Often, it doesn't.
>
> That does have the weakness that if there are changes in the version
> requirements, those won't get picked up as easily, adding to the
> maintenance workload. I do think it's worth reporting such issues to
> upstream. (I'd certainly want it reported for the projects where I am
> part of upstream.)

dh-python already doesn't use upstream version requirements when automatically
extracting dependencies, so you have to check those yourself regardless of how
you do it.  This design decision was based on generally poor experiences with
the accuracy of upstream version descriptions (using exact version
requirements is very common in the upstream Python community and that
generally isn't supportable in Debian).

Scott K