Re: Allow installation on buster of a package not supporting 3.7 (async/await syntax error when generating bytecode)

Hi!

* Adam Cécile <acecile@le-vert.net> [2018-11-08 09:15:59 +0100]:

> Hello list,
>

> I have a package working perfectly fine on Pyrhon 3.6 but using async/await
> methods so it cannot work on python 3.7 at the moment.
> During package compilation, I popd 3.7 from supported version returned by
> py3version and it allows me to build the package just fine:
>
> Problem: I cannot install it. Despite 3.7 was not "enabled" during build,
> when installing debian helpers try to compile bytecode for both 3.6 and 3.7
> and fails. Is there any way to workaround that ?

You can use the bcep (bytecompile exception pattern) mechanism. The
documentation can be found in dh_python3(1)[1] and
/usr/share/doc/dh-python/README.PyDist, and you can find some examples in
codesearch.

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/dh-python/dh_python3.1.en.html#bcep_files

HTH,
--