Re: Python 3.7 or 3.6 in Buster

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 21:09, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
Hi there!

During Debconf, we decided we would not decide yet, and see in November
if we think it's reasonable to allow Python 3.7 to reach Buster. Time
has passed, RC bugs have been fixed, and now is probably the time to
open this thread.

To me, as much as the OpenStack packages are concerned, I'm kind of fine
with 3.7, modulo fixing this bug in Glance:

https://bugs.debian.org/911947

which I forwarded here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1800601

It looks like this bug is 3.7.1 specific (ie: there's no bug if using
Python 3.7.0). Upstream had a look, and didn't find a way to fix (yet).
Help appreciated.

I commented on the bug.

It looks like everything else in OpenStack works.

What is the situation for other packages? Do we have lots of Python 3.7
problems remaining? If so, it'd be nice to have them listed somewhere,
so we have a clear picture of what's going on.

We're going through the process of switching to 3.7 as default in Ubuntu right now, so I think it makes sense to switch Debian too fairly soon. I'm trying to remember to attach all my patches to Debian bug reports...

Cheers,
mwh

Do other fellow DD also think it's kind of ok to keep 3.7 in Buster?

Also, Doko, do you plan on upgrading to newer point release? Python
3.7.1-rc1 and 3.7.1 both were the cause of troubles for me. I just hope
this wont happen again (though I'd understand if you wished to upgrade
once more before the freeze). In any ways, it'd be nice to communicate
what you're planning on doing.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)