Re: python-gevent, python-greenlet, debug packages, hurd, and testing.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 2:35 AM peter green <plugwash@p10link.net> wrote:
> python-gevent cannot currently be built in testing because it has a build-dependency on python-greenlet (>= 0.4.13) but testing only has 0.4.12-2. This is technically a RC bug (violates "Packages must be buildable within the same release." but AIUI in such cases it is generally considered more productive to investigate why there is a delta between testing and unstable than file a bug against the victim of the delta.
>
> After digging into the britney update output it seems that the new python-gevent is not migrating to testing because the python-greenlet no longer builds -dbg packages but the old -dbg packages are still in unstable.
[...]
> Following the general principle that issues affecting release architectures in testing (python-gevent being unbuildable in testing) are more important than issues that only affect non-release architectures in unstable (some uninstallable -dbg packages on hurd) I filed a removal request asking for the old -dbg packages to be removed so that python-greenlet could migrate to testing. I cc'd the removal request to the "python-greenlet@packages.debian.org" maintainer alias in case the maintainer had any concerns.
 I plan to add back -dbg packages to python-greenlet.

> Anyway Scott Kitterman (a ftp assistant) replied to my removal request with the following.
> >> It appears these are not being removed automatically because they are
> >> depended on by out of date binaries on hurd. Can you clean them up
> >> manually?
> > This is certainly possible, but is deleting the -dbg packages really the best solution?
> > For python debug packages to work, they need to run with the debug version of the python
> > interpreter, which -dbgsym packages make no provision for.
 He is right, I shouldn't remove the -dbg packages from a Python package.

> > Generally, for python packages, it's desirable to keep the traditional -dbg packages.
>
> I am far from a python expert, I am just a random dd pushing on an issue that I noticed as
> a result of running a downstream distribution.
>
> So I am passing Scott's comment on to the package maintainer and to Debian's python
> experts so that hopefully a descision can be taken to either tell the ftpmasters to
> go ahead with the removal of the old dbg packages or to reintroduce the -dbg packages
> to the  python-gevent and python-greenlet source packages.
 I didn't receive a reply from others, but I plan to re-add the -dbg
packages for reasons mentioned above.

> More generally I find it surprising that given that python apparently has special
> requirements regarding dbg packages this does not seem to be addressed in the python
> policy.
 It would be nice to add this to the Python policy.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS