Re: Wanting to repackage virtualenvwrapper

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM Joel Cross <joel@kazbak.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear mailing list,
>
> I was looking to make some changes to the packaging of the virtualenvwrapper package, in order to fix bug #760080 (no Python 3 support). I have done most of the work on repackaging, but now realise that the package is not listed as being maintained by the DPMT, but rather by a single developer.

tbh, this should have been on of the first steps, try to keep it in
mind for the next time; you should have also stated your intentions in
the bug #760080, just to avoid duplicate effort and as a general kind
note to the maintainer.

> I was wondering if someone can advise me what is the process here - can we (the DPMT, that is) take on an existing individually-maintained package, or is that frowned upon? Bearing in mind the last published update was in 2014 and the last git commit was in 2016.

no we do not hijack a package maintainer by someone else and not this
team without a very good reason. why you didnt add Jan to this email
recipients? doing so now

it used to be hosted on collab-maint on alioth so it's likely Jan is
willing to accept your contributions. First step would be to prepare a
debdiff with your changes, attach it to a reply to bug 760080 and wait
for the maintainer's reply. If that doesnt come after a reasonable
amount of time (*at least* 2 weeks), then you may ask for advice on
the next steps.

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/