setup.py sdist permissions

Hello,

As an upstream maintainer of certain packages on pypi, it has come to my
attention that my packages have files in the source package with
permission 600 or 700 (and my owner and group). This is most likely
because my umask is set to 077, because in general I prefer not having
all my private files world/group readable.

* Is this actually a problem for users?

* Shouldn't sdist be ignoring my umask considering it is generating
  packages for public consumption?

It seems like the only known solution is to manually set umask to 022
before calling sdist, something I am likely to forgot to do on a
continued basis.

Any ideas?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>