Re: python-markdown and mkdocs circular build-dep

Thanks Ghislain and Simon for your responses.

It turns out mkdocs need python-markdown not for tests, but rather for
building its own docs.

So probably the correct way to go is to make sure both packages take the
nodoc build profile into account.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:29:34AM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> It would probably be best for python-mkdocs to build-depend on
> python3-markdown <!nocheck>, after making sure that building with
> "DEB_BUILD_PROFILES=nocheck DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck" and without
> python3-markdown installed does work (it looks as though it should). That
> way the cycle can be broken from either end (and nocheck never changes
> package contents, whereas nodoc does, so nocheck is probably a better
> way to break it).

For both mkdocs and python-markdown, -doc is a separate package, so
the nodoc build profile will not change the package contents, but it will
disable building the -doc package at all.

The other issue I found is that mkdocs adds some bundled JS libraries to
the generated documentation. It would be nice to have a dh_sphinxdoc-like
tool to help with unbundling them. I will file a bug for that.

--
Dmitry Shachnev