Re: building manpages via setup.py

On 02/08/17 09:19, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel wrote:
At the end of the day, it is just a matter of providing an appropriate
PYTHONPATH, regardless of whether pybuild is used or not.

Yes but to avoid the multiplications of way to provide this PYTHONPATH.

For the vast majority of packages, the current method listed in LibraryStyleGuide applies, i.e.:

PYTHONPATH=. sphinx-build -N -b html <docs_dir> <build_dir>

One can also use the sphinx-generated Makefile if available:

PYTHONPATH=$(CURDIR) $(MAKE) -C <docs_dir> html

Both are simple one-liners and do not rely on pybuild.

Is it possible to have the recommended way which works for modules and extensions.

If it does not cost much to build the extension inplace, then the simplest option is to prefix one of these calls above with:

python3 setup.py build_ext --inplace

If the cost is prohibitive, which arguably applies to a very limited set of packages (yours included) then you would use pybuild for that, as Piotr kindly suggested.

once agreed, we should put this in the wiki

Considering the rarity of this use case though, I wonder whether it is worth adding a separate section to the style guide.

Ghis