Re: python3 for pysrs

On July 17, 2017 8:27:45 AM EDT, "Sandro Knauß" <bugs@sandroknauss.de> wrote:
>Hey,
>
>> This is work you're doing in collaboration with the ‘pysrs’ upstream
>> developers, right? You are aiming to get users to test this, and get
>it
>> into a release, before doing any of this in Debian. Is that correct?
>
>well because upstream has not add any patch for three years, I think
>upstream
>is dead. I'll send upsteam also a mail with my propolsoal for pysrs
>python3,
>but I think I'll don't get response. But before asking upstream I would
>like
>to have somebody looking at my python3 changes if they are going into
>the
>right direction.
>
>> I think that porting a work to Python 3 is not appropriate for a
>Debian
>> patch. That should be done only in a maintained upstream work; maybe
>> fork, but certainly not just a patch on the released upstream work
>for
>> Python 2 only.
>
>Yes I know, that this is not really part of an Debian patch, but
>because
>upstream is not doing anything, I started now to push python3 support.
>And I
>think at this list there are many people how saw many python3 support
>patches,
>to give some hints, where to pay attention.
>Well if upstream is dead I'll need to fork it.

I know the upstream developer.  I would recommend that you contact him.  He's been gradually moving from Sourceforge to GitHub and I expect he'd move pysrs if you offered to port it.

My understanding is he views it as doing what it's supposed to do, so rather than dead, it's merely sleeping.

In addition to email, you can usually find him on IRC at #spf on irc.perl.org.

Scott K