Re: removing python3-trollius

On 10 July 2017 at 21:52, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi@mithrandi.net> wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 11:45 Michael Hudson-Doyle <michael.hudson@canonical.com> wrote:

python3-trollius fails tests with Python 3.6 and rather than think about why, I think it makes more sense to stop building trollius for Python 3.

Sounds reasonable to me!

So a wrinkle here is that trollius-redis was packaged as it is a dependency of pagure. Pagure is currently Python 2 only so removing python3-trollius and python3-trollius-redis will not impede that effort in the short term, but it might make life harder as and when pagure does switch to Python 3. Of course, we could make the (reasonable sounding) bet that if pagure switches to Python 3, it will also switch to asyncio rather than depending on the deprecated trollius.

What do you think? Having written the above out, I think it still makes sense to proceed with my plan. I'll start filing bugs and patches and looking for sponsors...

Cheers,
mwh