Re: ipython/jupyter issue [Was: RuntimeError: Kernel died before replying to kernel_info (#4116)]

On 09/11/17 15:27, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> statsmodels upstream claims that #880245 is a ipython/jupyter issue.
>
> Is there anybody with some knowledge and knows how to fix this issue?

I just built statsmodels 0.8.0-6 in and amd64 sbuild chroot without
encountering this issue.

Looking at the trace in #880245, it looks like the key error is

    zmq.error.ZMQError: Address already in use

and the other

    RuntimeError: Kernel died before replying to kernel_info

are just caused by the other process not being able to communicate. My
guess is that this is an environment heisenbug - container network
issues/socket exhaustion...

It might be possible to get `ExecutePreprocessor` in
`tools/nbgenerate.py` to use IPC instead of TCP transport, which might
be more reliable for this sort of use (although it probably doesn't get
tested as much, so might have its own problems); this is a supported
option when invoking some CLI tools (eg, `jupyter console --transport
ipc --kernel python3`), but it's not obvious to me how to do it in this
case.

Gordon