Re: MBF for deprecating Python2 usage

On Aug 3, 2017, at 17:57, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:

> While at DebCamp, Stefano Rivera and I sat down to analyze what needs to be done
> to deprecate Python2 usage within the distribution.  It might not be possible to
> drop Python2 for the next release, but there are still too many issues with
> packages.  For now we identified some categories which need fixing. These are
> documented at https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Python3Montreal, resulting in
> more than 3000 bug reports.  That's a high number, on the other hand we won't
> make much progress if the issues are not named.  My intent is to bring that up
> in the Python BoF next week at DebConf and then filing these bug reports with
> the user tags mentiond on the wiki page.

Great to hear that you guys talked about it.

Just a quick note that PEP 394 discussions have revived, lead by the Fedora folks.  Please do check out the new thread, especially if you have opinions about what /usr/bin/python should do once Python 2.7 is EOL.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/linux-sig/2017-August/thread.html

Cheers,
-Barry