Re: packaging problems with python3.5 and python 3.6

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 03:16:06PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Steve,

> Thanks for your answer and your fix!

> > Which "python packaging guide" do you refer to?  A search for "debian python
> > packaging guide" does not return unambiguous results.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide where it states:
> 	You'll want to have at least the following build dependencies:
> 	python3-all
> but the
> 	python[,3]-all-dev
> are never mentioned. So sorry, I didn't know about them and searched
> for the required header files, and added the respective packages.

> > 'python-all-dev, python3-all-dev' - plus the python2 and python3 versions of

> Thanks, maybe one with proper knowledge should fix the wiki, though.

Ok, that was the first hit I got but I discounted it because it spoke of
packaging "libraries", not modules or extensions.

Perhaps someone should make this wiki page a redirect to the python policy
manual?  https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/

> > Since this package is in collab-maint, I've gone ahead and pushed fixed
> > python3 support to the repo.

> Thanks again. You added a dependency on python-lxml. I don't think this
> is necessary as libxml is only used at compile time. At least building
> in a clean chroot did work out without any problems.

I added python3-lxml because without it, build-time tests failed for
python3.  If I also added python-lxml, that was purely a cut'n'paste error.

> BTW, does it make sense to upload another -1 version to ftp-master
> to replace the one in the NEW queue?

AFAIK you would need to get the ftpmasters to reject the existing -1 first.