Re: Python3.6 plans​ for Buster

On 24 June 2017 at 06:09, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
On Saturday, June 17, 2017 04:20:27 AM Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Python3.6 is already in Unstable and I expect to see it in Testing soon
> after Stretch is released.
>
> I've just now uploaded a version of python3-defaults to Experimental that
> adds python3.6 as as supported (but not default) python3.  If you have
> binary extensions packaged, please start testing with this version to make
> sure your package builds correctly with both python3.5 and python3.6 as
> supported.
>
> As a reminder (and for anyone new) we'll do the transition to python3.6 in
> three stages:
>
>  - Add python3.6 as supported and rebuild all binary extensions to support
> both python3.5 and python3.6
>
>  - Switch to python3.6 as default
>
>  - Drop python3.5 from supported and rebuild again to remove python3.5
> support.

Unless I've missed something, I've not heard back from anyone indicating
significant issues that would warrant not taking the first step in this plan
(I'm aware astropy may have some problems, but that's it).

My plan is to ask the release team for a transition tracker and start the
first part of this in Unstable once they've agreed.  If anyone thinks this is
premature, please let me know.

As I'm currently going through all this in Ubuntu, I'd much rather be able to work on the problems in Debian rather than having lots of delta pile up so the sooner the better from my POV!

Cheers,
mwh