Re: Ad-hoc Debian Python BoF at PyCon US 2017

On 10.06.2017 05:32, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jun 06, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>
>> if we plan (and it looks like we do) to support and distribute 2.7
>> with buster, why not support it *properly*? what's the point of
>> deprecating python2.7? either we ship it or not, but if we do then
>> let's not cripple it by removing python2 modules packages. do yo think
>> that just because the module i want to use is not available will make
>> realize "oh sh*t, let's migrate this 50k lines of code application to
>> py3k so that i can implement this 5-minutes-of-work-funcionality if i
>> had the module on py2"?
>
> So what's the plan for when upstream stops supporting Python 2 in 2020?  Given
> the pronouncement at Pycon 2017 that maintenance will end at Pycon 2020, we
> really need to decide what Debian's official policy will be, and what the
> timeline will be to get there.
>
> If Buster is 2 years in development, that means it will be the last Debian
> release before Python 2.7 is EOL'd.  Yes, I know it's possible that 2.7 will
> get security releases for some time after that, but that's a much reduced
> commitment from upstream.
>
> Once upstream stops supporting 2.7, should we also stop supporting it?  That
> wouldn't mean that developers on Debian can't use Python 2.7, just that they
> will be on their own.  I know it sucks for people who can't port to Python 3,
> but if a decade or more isn't enough time to switch, then that's really saying
> they'll never switch, and how much responsibility does Debian have at that
> point?
>
> Python 2.7 isn't going away today, but 3 years goes by quickly and we need to
> decide what our policy will be when the day arrives.

There's a big chunk of work getting the python2 dependencies replaced by python3
dependencies.  I think we should track these packages with bug reports, so that
every source package depending on python2 only, and not providing python3 binary
packages has it's own bug report. For now, one big cluster might be packages b-d
on python-sphinx instead of python3-sphinx, another one many openstack packages.

We can only speculate on the amount of work until we have such a list ...

Matthias