Re: Python3.6 plans​ for Buster

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 04:20:27AM +0000, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Python3.6 is already in Unstable and I expect to see it in Testing soon
> after Stretch is released.

> I've just now uploaded a version of python3-defaults to Experimental that
> adds python3.6 as as supported (but not default) python3.  If you have
> binary extensions packaged, please start testing with this version to make
> sure your package builds correctly with both python3.5 and python3.6 as
> supported.

> As a reminder (and for anyone new) we'll do the transition to python3.6 in
> three stages:

>  - Add python3.6 as supported and rebuild all binary extensions to support
>    both python3.5 and python3.6

>  - Switch to python3.6 as default

>  - Drop python3.5 from supported and rebuild again to remove python3.5
>    support.

> Last time I compared my understanding of the Buster schedule with the
> python3.7 schedule, I recall concluding that we'd likely be on python3.6
> for the Buster release (not sure that's still true).  If so, we only have
> to do this once this cycle and​I think the sooner the better.

FYI, Ubuntu has already started this transition for the upcoming 17.10
release.  Python3.6 has been added as a supported version, and a transition
tracker (à la the Debian release team) of the remaining issues - with some
false positives - can be found here:

  https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/transitions/html/python3.5-6.html

A more detailed analysis of the remaining packages can be found here:

  http://pad.ubuntu.com/q0xuETZmdn

This basically comes down to only three packages that need fixed in both
Debian and Ubuntu - uwsgi, pandas, and photutils.[1]  All other packages
that FTBFS with python3.6 added as supported should already have patches
filed in the Debian BTS.

The rebuild with python3.6 as default is also now in progress for Ubuntu;
test build results can be seen here:

  https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+archive/ubuntu/python3.6-as-default

Hope that helps,

[1] pytables is a failure specific to Ubuntu armhf buildds which raise
SIGBUS, this should not affect Debian.  python-astropy rebuilds with no
problem, but doesn't pick up python3.6 support.