avoiding regressions with python3-all-dev in between transitions?

Hi folks,

In Ubuntu, not being in release freeze, we've begun the transition from
python 3.5 to python 3.6, with the first step being enabling python3.6 as a
non-default supported version.

As with every recent transition, we are finding a number of packages that
have wrong build-dependencies on python3-all-dev despite having no support
in the packaging for multiple versions.  Some of these packages just
continue to build for the default version, and some of them fail to build.

Has anyone here given thought to how we might keep a handle on these issues
throughout the cycle, when 'py3versions -s' only returns a single version?
I don't see any way to make this a reliable lintian check since that would
involve parsing debian/rules.  Would it make sense to do test builds with a
mocked up version of /usr/share/python3/debian_defaults that includes an
extra supported version that is just symlinked on the filesystem to the
default version?