Re: [Python-modules-commits] [python-cpuinfo] 02/02: Import Debian changes 3.0.0-1

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 09:07:09PM +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> So what you guys are proposing is to introduce a new wrapper script, in
> its own binary package, whose name is not endorsed by upstream, and
> which will end-up completely Debian specific.
>
> Am I really the only one in this team to think this proposal is a
> complete non-sense?

Ok, this is a different matter than what Sandro brought up, though.
Anyhow, I wouldn't call it "complete non-sense" but just a tad unwise,
as any non-upstreamed debian-specific change is, nothing more.
If instead of renaming that binary, it was called /usr/bin/cpuinfo my
own proposition would still make sense, and your too.

> > Surely I'm not the only one who would consider moving the file back to
> > python3-cpuinfo a step backward…
>
> I fail to understand how your anti-Python-3 feelings add anything
> constructive to this thread. Moving on.

lol.
Trust me, I am very far from being an "anti-Python-3" person :D
If anything, I wish for Python 2 to be retired *soon* and python3 to
take the lead everywhere.
What I am "against" is for /usr/bin/ files to be in library packages, be
them python2's or python3's.

> AFAIC, I happily use pytest or sphinx via their respective python[3]-
> pytest

There is a peculiar thing about pytest: the version of python used
matters.  That's different than most python /usr/bin/* things.

> and python[3]-sphinx.

neither python-sphnix nor python3-sphinx ship anything in /usr/bin, so
bad example.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo