Re: Adopting OpenStack packages

On Saturday, March 04, 2017 09:23:28 PM Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  4 mars 2017 15:04 GMT, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> :
> > This was not about isolated mistakes.  We've all made those.  I do
> > not, however, think it's useful to rehash the details.  I do think it
> > is worth mentioning that since he's back in the team it wasn't without
> > limit.
>
> He's back in the team because he has asked/begged a TC member to mediate
> the issue during last Debconf. The ban has been done privately, so I
> don't know if a time limit was provided. In a message, you speak of a
> "short break". It was almost a year.

I don't recall having said short.  I don't know why I would have said that
since I didn't remember how long it ended up being.  He's back because the
team admins were convinced to give him another chance and that he would follow
the rules if we did.

As I said, we all make mistakes.  That's not what this was, in my opinion,
about.  It was about him being unable to see beyond what was needed for
OpenStack and doing that regardless of the way the team works.  I have
concerns about that going forward based on this thread, but I'm not going to
prejudge how things work out.

In my opinion, time limits are for children's punishments.  I don't think
adults need a time out for a lesson.  Bans should only be imposed if you are
convinced the situation is not salvageable.  That does not mean, however, that
new information can't make it reasonable to revisit the decision and change it
as was done here.

I understand why he's leery of DPMT after having been banned, but all he needs
to do is follow the rules and there's nothing to worry about.

Scott K