Re: Moving off of git-dpm (Re: git-dpm breakage src:faker)

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> We should probably be thinking in terms of post-release for this change.
> During the pre-release freeze, the release team doesn't typically allow
> changes that extraneous to fixing the specific issue they are letting a
> package into Testing to fix.  The .git-dpm file is shipped in the package, so
> if we drop git-dpm, we're going to have to deal with getting .git-dpm removals
> through the release team for any package that needs update during the
> freeze.

The .git-dpm file is only shipped with the Debian source package, and
AFAIK has no meaning outside git. So it is a useless file for the Debian
source package. There should be no impact whatsoever in removing it, and
you could even argue that it was a bug to distribute it in the Debian
source in the fist place.

> That will also give us time to make sure we have a proper migration strategy
> and sufficient documentation.

That may be a better reason.

Hence the reason I suggested not doing a mass migration of all packages
at once (at least for now) but to update the package when it otherwise
needs updating.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>