Moving off of git-dpm (Re: git-dpm breakage src:faker)

On Jan 29, 2017, at 09:39 AM, Brian May wrote:

>I would think "gbp pq" is the most popular.

I've used it on some of my non-team packages and while it takes a little
getting used to for the standard git-dpm workflow, it's been mostly fine.

What I'd really like to see is a page like
https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging for a non-git-dpm workflow.  (The
page itself could probably use a bit of gardening anyway.)  Specifically, I'd
like to see guidance on any tasks which are different for git-pq (or
non-git-dpm as the case may be).

I'd suggest cloning that page instead of modify that page to cover both
cases.  Edit the clone as if it were the opinionated view of just using gbp
tools and gbp-pq.  The page should also have instructions on opportunistically
switching away from git-dpm.

Then we can start to use those instructions in anger and add any other
recommendations for corner cases.  Once we have enough experience with gpb-pq
throughout the team, we can consider making an official switch.

Cheers,
-Barry