Re: pep8 renamed to pycodestyle

On 06/21/2016 03:35 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> My understanding is that renaming a source package is rather more
> disruptive than renaming a binary package, is that right?

To my experience, renaming a source package is painless. The pain used
to be for FTP masters, but now even that is automated nowadays (with
their "clean cruft" script, whatever they called it...). I did rename
source packages like oslo-config -> python-oslo.config and
oslo.messaging -> python-oslo.messaging, just for the sake of
consistency. It was no problem at all, and when I contacted FTP masters,
they told me that nobody had anything to do to deal with it.

>   * Maybe even schedule the transition with the release team

We don't have enough of these in Python. More often than not, disruptive
uploads aren't coordinated, and it breaks the world.

Though in this case, since Barry is proposing hacks to support both
names (thanks, that's very much welcome!). So it will be smooth, and we
can slowly open, then close bugs, slowly.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)