Re: Packaging Grip

Hi Dmitry,

On 6 April 2016 at 17:21, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@debian.org> wrote:
> 1. Public (/usr/lib/python*/dist-packages) vs private (/usr/share/) location
> depends on whether the module is intended to be used by third-party packages,
> or only by grip itself.
>
> 2. The Style Guide doesn't *require* both Python 2 and 3. The Python 3
> package is required, but add the Python 2 one only if you really need it.
>
> 3. If you decide to ship files in a public location (dist-packages), then
> the package having those files should be named python3-something, not
> just 'grip'.
>
> 4. Setuptools-generated entry points for public modules are fine, but for
> private ones it's better to use your own ones or symlinks.
>
> Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for taking the time to explain me this, but actually I got a
little bit confused. Because yes, what you said is consistent with
what I found on articles about Python packaging on wiki.d.o[1][2], but
at the same time there are well-known packages in the archive that
contradicts this, specially the item "3".

The package that I used as an example is tox. It used to be called
"python-tox", which is now a transitional dummy package[3]. Now is
named "tox"[4], because it is intended to be used as a CLI
application, but at the same time it ships its files in
"dist-packages"[5].

I followed the tox example and named the package "grip", not
"python-grip", because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here. I
don't really know its maintainer, Barry Warsaw, but the guy has both
"@debian.org" and "@python.org" e-mail addresses[6], so he clearly
knows about Debian packaging and the Python ecosystem itself way more
than I do.

The problem with the item number "4" is that I never got it working as
intended. So every time I have to create my own "/usr/bin/" scripts or
symlinks, discarding those auto-generated entry point scripts.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/Python/AppStyleGuide