Re: Packaging pythonpy

Dmitry,

On 31 March 2016 at 15:54, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@debian.org> wrote:
> Cool, one little change and it's much better!

Actually this has one big implication: as it uses the same interpreter
to evaluate its input, it becomes compatible with Python 3 expressions
only. Noticed that after trying to access "string.letters" which was
renamed to "string.ascii_letters".

Added a note to the manpage[1].

> Now that you've changed to Python 3, you need to change the shebang from
> python2 to python3 anyway…

That's true.

> This command works for me (as a DEP-8 test):
>
>   python3 ./test/test_pythonpy.py -v
>
> Unfortunately dh runs tests before install/link phase, so we cannot run it
> during build (without ugly hacks). Though if upstream adds an option to
> specify path to executable used by tests, it will help a lot.

I'll leave this upstream contribution as a future improvement, OK?
This way we can get the package going in its current state.

> Ok, if you add the DEP-8 test (just one 3-lines file), I'll sponsor it.
> (If you prefer to wait for a new upstream release, I don't mind of course.)

Awesome news! I've imported[2] the new upstream version and added
DEP-8 tests[3]. The updated package is on mentors.d.n[4] (with no
warnings at all) and its source was pushed to collab-maint[5].

> One small suggestion: if you are using pybuild, you can simplify the install
> command a bit:
>
>   dh_auto_install -- --install-args "--install-lib=/usr/share/pythonpy --install-scripts=/usr/share/pythonpy"
>
> It's a bit shorter because you don't need to specify --install-layout and
> --root.

This is way simpler. Thanks for the tip. Done[6].

> Also, don't you think that /usr/bin/py is too generic? Maybe use
> /usr/bin/pythonpy or something similar instead? (It's easy to change that,
> as the linking is done by packaging rather than upstream buildsystem).

It is indeed pretty short and generic, but is the way upstream have
been distributing it since the beginning (the project is nearly two
years old), so I guess it would be a hassle if we change it right now.
I've triple-checked if it wasn't colliding with another binary name
and it isn't.

Also, if it is called "pythonpy" or something like that, would be
somewhat annoying to use completion, as every time someone hits
"pyt<TAB>" it would end with "python" first.

On 31 March 2016 at 16:31, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Especially considering that 'py' is the name chosen for the Python
> Launcher for Windows by upstream Python developers :

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for point this out.

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://github.com/myhro/deb-pythonpy/commit/bdb7aeb
[2]: https://github.com/myhro/deb-pythonpy/commit/093b63a