Re: Packaging pythonpy

Dmitry,

On 30 March 2016 at 16:48, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@debian.org> wrote:
> Looks like I was a bit mistaken — dh_python2 will not replace shebangs for
> files in /usr/share. But then you can do this manually using a sed call [1],
> that is still easier than a patch.

This is indeed way clever than an entire patch to fix something so simple. :-)

Done[1].

> Re Lintian error, this looks like a false positive. See [2].

You mean that maybe it's better if we add an override instead of a workaround?

> Minor nit about your package: please build-depend on dh-python to get a modern
> version of dh_python2.

Done[2].

> Major nit about your package: did you read the Python policy, in particular
> the part that tells that all new packages should use Python 3 [3]?

Actually I had consulted it, but not read it entirely. I don't know
why but I thought that the Python 3 requirement was a *nice to have*,
not a *should have*. Anyway, I've updated[3] the build system to use
Python 3.

I noticed that the test suite wasn't being properly executed and sent
a patch to upstream[4]. As soon as a new release is made with this
changed integrated, I'll be adding support for DEP-8 (as suggested by
Barry Warsaw[5] in the last week), as they are functional tests that
depends on the package being installed.

I've uploaded the updated package to mentors.d.n[6], but I guess its
better to wait for a new release integrating the test suite fixes. The
upstream is pretty fast and responsive.

Are you able to sponsor the upload when we finish taking care of those
details? I've filled an RFS (#819289[7]), but forgot to add the
"debian-python" mailing list in "X-Debbugs-CC".

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://github.com/myhro/deb-pythonpy/commit/f4ce711
[2]: https://github.com/myhro/deb-pythonpy/commit/868667b