Re: Versioned dependencies with stdeb and pybuild

[Malte Forkel, 2016-12-05]
> The application requires Python 3.5, so I added to stdeb.cfg
>
>   Depends: python3 (>= 3.5)
>
> The application also specifies the following requirements:
>
>   requests>=2,<3
>   pyyaml>=3.11,<4
>   pytz>=2016.7
>   pip>=7.0.0
>   jinja2>=2.8
>   voluptuous==0.9.2
>   typing>=3,<4
>   aiohttp==1.0.5
>   async_timeout==1.0.0

this looks like requirements.txt (i.e. environment upstream tested it
with / is comfortable with) rather than install_requires from setup.py.

If it really is in setup.py (and later in requires.txt), then it's a bug
in upstream code ("=="? really?).

anyway... as you mentioned, dh_python3 doesn't copy/translate version
requirements by default (maintainer of given package has to confirm that
upstream uses PEP386 or whatever the current PEP number is this month)
or you can (and should IMHO) put these requirements into Build-Depeneds
and dh_python3 should copy them into Depeneds where possible

> I added entries for aiohttp and async_timeout to
> debian/py3dist-overrides, because these packages are not included in the
> existing mapping. Still, most of the dependencies in debian/control were
> not versioned. The dependency on python3 was not included at all.

please try with DB instead of py3dist-overrides

[...]
> If possible, I would like to see 'python3 (>= 3.5)' included and have
> all dependencies versioned in debian/control. Any advice on how to
> achieve this (or explanation why its a bad idea :))?

try with X-Python3-Version: >= 3.5

PS shameless plug: did you try py2dsp (from pypi2deb)?