Re: Python 4 and ‘python3’ (was: /usr/bin/python2 shebangs)

On Nov 02, 2016, at 01:57 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

>Donald Stufft <donald@stufft.io> writes:
>
>> /usr/bin/python3 being Python 4.x is a bit weird though
>
>Seriously? Who is proposing that?
>
>> and it’s likely that Python 4.x is not going to be another break the
>> world release.
>
>Certainly the command ‘python3’ should only ever point to the Python 3
>interpreter.
>
>If upstream ever releases a “Python 4” but expects the interpreter for
>that to also be named ‘python3’, I think we can declare upstream to be
>directly courting user pain, and secede on behalf of our users.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if /usr/bin/python is reclaimed for some future
post-Python2-demise Python 4 interpreter.  It might even be a good thing since
I'm not sure I'd want a /usr/bin/python4.

Not that I'm expecting Python 4 any time soon, but if Larry Hasting's
gilectomy work actually pans out, that'd be a solid contender for it.

Cheers,
-Barry