Re: Package name for github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 at 09:12:22 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Yes, this is a problem with the current Debian Python policy: it assumes
> distribution authors will not collide on package names.
>
> I don't have an answer, though I will point out that whatever the
> solution is, it will be incompatible with the current Debian Python
> policy for at least one of those packages.

Debian cannot provide more than one Python module named socketio, have them
co-installable, and make them both work in Python via "import socketio"
without taking some sort of special steps to choose one. It's exactly the
same problem as having two C libraries both trying to be named libfoo.so.0.

The policy has been useful here, because you have found that there is
a problem now, not later.

(I don't have a general solution to the problem of upstreams naming things
as generically as this either.)