Re: Test suite in github but missing from pypi tarballs

On 04/21/2016 04:10 PM, Edward Betts wrote:
> Recently I've come across some Python libraries that have a test suite in
> their github repo but don't include it in the tarball they upload to pypi.
>
> Debian binary packages don't normally include the test suite.

Why? It's my view that it's a good idea to include it, if it is located
within the lib itself.

> Some Python
> library developers are treating the pypi releases in a similar way, as if
> they're just for deployment. They think anybody who needs the test suite is
> doing development and will clone from the github repo.
>
> It is very useful to run the test suite when building a Debian package. It
> would be better if upstream would include the test suite in their release
> tarballs.
>
> It is often just a one line change to MANIFEST.in to have the test suite
> included. If the tests are in a directory called 'tests', then this is the
> line that needs to added:
>
>   recursive-include tests *.py

It's best that the test suite goes within the project. So if project is
called foo, then best is to get the test folder in foo/tests. This way,
you don't even need to fix the MANIFEST.in. Then you can even use it as
an autopkgtest thing.

> I've been sending github pull requests to encourage library authors to make
> this change.
>
>   https://github.com/RPi-Distro/python-gpiozero/pull/284
>   https://github.com/john-kurkowski/tldextract/pull/97
>
> You might want to take a few minutes to check any Python packages you've
> worked on, see if there is a test suite in the github repo that hasn't made it
> to the release tarball and send a pull request to fix it.

IMO, don't bother, and just re-generate a tarball from git, using "git
archive", which is my preferred way to use upstream sources.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)