Compiled bytecode installed, because test suite was run

Howdy all,

I am packaging a code base, which has a test suite. The compiled byte
code from the test suite run, is being collected when Pybuild discovers
the resulting Python packages.

As far as I can determine, these steps are occurring:

* Pybuild runs the upstream test suite
* which imports the Python packages
* which creates the compiled bytecode files
* which remain in the package directories
* which are scooped up by Pybuild for installation
* which leads to Lintian correctly complaining
  “package-installs-python-pycache-dir”.

How do I convince Pybuild to run the tests as part of the package build
(as normal), but clean up the compiled files *after* the tests and
*before* gathering the installed files?

--
 \       “The great thing about science is we can test our ideas.… But |
  `\   until we do, until we have data, it is just one more proposal.” |