Re: Handling python modules collision

Hi Frederic,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 04:55:36PM +0100, Frederic Bonnard wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like your advises concerning the following situation : I'm packaging this
> python library :
> https://github.com/miguelgrinberg/python-socketio
>
> and I see that debian already provides a library with the same name :
>
> https://github.com/abourget/gevent-socketio
>
> The name can be changed of course but I'm not sure on how to deal with the fact
> that the first one wants to install in the same path i.e. :
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/socketio
>
> Is that a proper case where to use "Conflicts" field ?

No, that's not a proper case for Conflicts.

You should change the Python package name to be different from socketio,
better work with upstream on that. After that you'll be able to name the
package according to our naming policy.

According to GitHub metrics (stars/forks), gevent-socketio is ~10 times more
popular than python-socketio, so it's better to change the latter, not the
former.

If the upstream refuses to do the renaming, you can do it as a distro-patch,
but then you'll need to patch all the packages using it too. So better to
do the work upstream…

--
Dmitry Shachnev