Re: gphoto2 package name problem

Hi Dimitry,

On 02/20/2016 04:47 PM, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:53:18AM +0500, Damon Lynch wrote:
The problem was resolved when the developer of gphoto2-cffi agreed to rename
the imported module as gphoto2cffi instead of gphoto2.

[...]

This leaves the problem of the confusing Debian package name for the project
gphoto2-cffi. Can it be changed to "python-gphoto2-cffi"?
In this case it should be changed to python-gphoto2cffi.

Assuming the project "python-gphoto2" is packaged in Debian, what should it
be called?
When the other package is renamed, the new one can (in theory) take its past
name. There should be no problem because the old package had no rdepends and
the new one has a higher version number. However, you should probably talk to
the gphoto2-cffi maintainer first anyway to check if he's OK with you taking
over the name.

Good news: the developer of gphoto2-cffi has just confirmed that he is happy for both the package name of his project to be renamed into "python-gphoto2cffi" in Debian, and for the currently unpackaged project "python-gphoto2" to be given the Debian package name his project currently uses, "python-gphoto2".

As at the time of writing this email, the project "gphoto2-cffi" has not made a new release with the changed module name: https://github.com/jbaiter/gphoto2-cffi , although as I noted in my previous email, it has made the necessary commit: https://github.com/jbaiter/gphoto2-cffi/commit/6de87c88e56b59588fe1be48e9227dfa00382b91

I am assuming it will take a bit of time for for "python-gphoto2" (https://github.com/jim-easterbrook/python-gphoto2) to make it into Debian. Let me know if I can help, keeping in mind I'm very much a python application developer and not a packager! ;-)

I'm not sure on which day the deadline for Ubuntu to exclude/include Debian packages for the upcoming 16.04 release falls, but given it might be some time before the Python project "python-gphoto2" is made into a Debian package, is it possible to rename Debian package currently named "python-gphoto2" into "python-gphoto2cffi" as soon as is practical? It would be very nice if we could have the properly named package "python-gphoto2cffi" in Ubuntu 16.04, instead of the wrong name.

Thanks!
Damon

--

http://www.damonlynch.net