Re: New, updated pip coming

On Feb 01, 2016, at 03:01 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>Did you consider creating whl files at install time¹ rather than pip's
>build time? This way whl can be regenerated whenever one of needed
>packages is updated and there's no need to rebuild pip package.
>
>[¹] using dpkg (file) triggers (/usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz)

I did think about it, and maybe it's where we want to end up, but I didn't go
this way right now because of the added complexity.  Well, maybe "different"
complexity, since none of this stuff is simple. ;)

What we have now is better than what we had before, but once I get virtualenv
fixed and uploaded, I think I'll come back around to looking at what you
suggest.  (Certainly, patches welcome in the meantime.)  Fortunately, I
believe we have all the tools in place (e.g. dirtbike) to generate the wheels
at install time.  It does mean some extra run-time dependencies, but that's
probably fine.

Cheers,
-Barry