Re: Python Policy: Things to consider for Stretch

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 04:46:09 PM Ben Finney wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> > I've taken a run through the current Python Policy to see where I
> > think it needs to be updated for Stretch. The updates largely fall
> > into four categories: […]
>
> This is great to see, thank you Scott.
>
> Where is the Git (I assume?) repository you're using for VCS of this
> policy document?

It's in bzr, actually.  You can find the repository at
https://alioth.debian.org/scm/loggerhead/pkg-python/python-defaults-debian/files (that page has a link to make a branch using bzr.

The Python Policy is in debian/python-policy.sgml

You can make a text version using:

debiandoc2text debian/python-policy.sgml

> > This is just my opinion on stuff I found. I'm interested in feedback
> > on how these changes look and what else ought to be considered
>
> I like what I see (modulo other discussions in this thread).
>

> One small nit: the examples of what is included versus excluded of the
> “scope” of a Python version reference. It used to say:
>
>      as it seems reasonable to provide them.  (Note: For the scope of this
>      document, Python versions are synonymous to feature releases, i.e.
>      Python 2.7 and 2.7.1 are sub-minor versions of the same Python version
>      2.7, but Python 2.6 and 2.7 are indeed different versions.)
>
> The contrast “2.7 and 2.7.1 are […] the same Python version 2.7”, with
> “2.6 and 2.7 are […] different versions”, uses version “2.7” in both
> parts.
>
> I think it's important to the example that an *identical* version is in
> *both* arms of that contrast, to be clear what is being distinguished.
>
> So in the re-write I'd advise again using an identical version in both
> parts:
>
>      as it seems reasonable to provide them.  (Note: For the scope of this
>      document, Python versions are synonymous to feature releases, i.e.
>      Python 3.5 and 3.5.1 are sub-minor versions of the same Python version
>      3.5, but Python 3.4 and 3.5 are indeed different versions.)
>
> If I can know where to access the VCS repository I can make a patch for
> that, if you like.

Great.  See above.

I just pushed the edits I've proposed so what's in there now should be clean
for you to work on top of.  Pushing them to the repository doesn't make them
any less draft in my opinion (in case anyone was wondering).

Scott K