Re: Python Policy: Things to consider for Stretch

On Friday, January 22, 2016 05:55:19 PM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2016, at 10:47 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >I've taken a run through the current Python Policy to see where I think it
> >needs to be updated for Stretch.
>
> Thanks Scott for the badly needed update.
>
> Some comments, apologies for the lack of good quoting, or if I've read the
> diff incorrectly.
>
> 2.5 Module Path
>
> "Public Python modules must be installed in the system Python modules
> directory, /usr/lib/python<X>.<Y>/dist-packages.  Public Python 3 modules
> must be installed in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages."
>
> I think this could use a bit of disambiguation, sice "system Python modules"
> could mean either Python generically, in which case the second sentence is
> in conflict.  Do you mean "system Python 2 modules"?  If so, let's say
> that. Also, since Python 2.7 is all there will be from now on, why not say
> that explicitly?

Personally I seriously dislike the trend to call Python Python 2 (and I still
thing approving a pep to invent /usr/bin/python2 because Arch went insane was
a horrible idea).  There's an earlier spot in the document where it says that
everything refers to python and python3 unless it's explicit.  I'll make this
spot /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages and any risk of ambiguity is, I think,
resolved.

> A good reason not to would be because Policy needs to cover older releases
> where there can be multiple versions of Python 2.  But then later in your
> diff you seem to mention python2.7 as being associated with
> /usr/local/lib/python2.<Y>/dist-packages.  So maybe say
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages here too?  There really won't be any
> other value for <Y> than 7.

We only need (I think) to cover packages being developed for the release the
policy is for.  Squeeze was the last multi-python version release, so I think
we're safe to remove python2.<Y> where way may not always be 7.

> 3.4 Specifying Supported Versions
>
> "The optional `X-Python-Version (preferred) or `XS-Python-Version` field..."
>
> It's a little confusing because we're now saying we prefer not to have
> either field.  How about "(previously preferred)" or just drop the
> parenthetical?

Makes sense.  I'll do that.

> 3.6 Provides
>
> s/substituation/substitution/

Thanks.

> B.2. dh_python2 and dh_python3
>
> Again, I think here you want to say "Python2 and Python3" to disambiguate
> between generic Python.

If I say Python and Python3, what version can the one that's not Python3
possibly be?  I don't think it's any less confusing than starting to call what
we've always called "Python" "Python 2".

> Other than that, +1

Thanks for reviewing.

Scott K