Re: Any suggested procedure if upstream does not provide any build helper like setup.py

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> I'd like to package something that has a source.py in the main directory
> of the download tarball and a bunch of Python files ins src/<subdirs>.
> There is no makefile of setup.py.  Is there any suggested procedure how
> to build a package from this?

You could accidentally take over the package upstream, fix it up, upload
to PyPI, then do the Debian packaging.

I am actually doing this insane process at the moment with
sshuttle. After the previous upstream lost interest. So far nobody has
complained. Nobody has commented in fact. What could possible go wong?
If I break homebrew (MacOSX packages), that might upset people however.
Might try and see if I can test formulas using linuxbrew first.

There actually good reasons for upstream to do this, e.g. I think a
proper setup.py is a requirement to get packages into PyPI.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>