Re: How to maintain multiple branches (sid/bpo/exp etc)?

Hi Sandro,

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> hello,
> with the new DPMT repo layout and tools, what is the right way to
> maintain multiple active branches for our packages? things like:
>
> 1. unstable at v(ersion)3, bpo70 at v1 and bpo8 at v2
> 2. unstable at v1, experimental at v2
>
> all of them active, so in the 2. case there should be a way to keep
> updating v1 and v2 releases (and so unstable and exp) as the come.

Have a look at what we did for python-django and check out its
README.source to learn how to configure git-dpm to match the various
upstream branches and the corresponding Debian packaging branches.

I experienced yesterday how to merge a branch into another branch
(merging experimental with 1.8 into unstable that had 1.7)
and the least I can say is that it was not flawless... I already
reported the issue here:

So I did a plain "git merge" and did the following to clean up:
- resolved all conflicts by picking the merged side (including
  debian/.git-dpm)
- ran git-dpm status and reverted changes that did not conflict during the
  merge but that were not part of the upstream changes (they are probably
  left-over from debian patches since those are now applied in the
  packaging branch)
- manually cleaned up debian/patches

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer