Re: Git migration schedule

On Oct 20, 2015, at 08:30 AM, Brian May wrote:

>I suspect some packages may end up needing DEP-14 names for security
>fixes and backports.

Possibly so.

>The problem here is with the naming of the upstream branches is
>different. Although security updates and backports are unlikely to use
>new upstream versions, git-dpm appears to use upstream-<branchname> as
>the upstream branch name if the debian branch is not master. Either
>should be upstream or upstream/<version>.
>
>Also see: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=801666
>
>I don't (yet) see a significant problem with using master instead of
>debian/master, unless you want to maintain seperate branches for Ubuntu
>and Debian packages (a level of complexity I prefer not to think too
>much about right now...)

I've done this for a few packages where I have to have Ubuntu deltas.  pex was
a good example, although the delta has been resolved, so now the Debian and
Ubuntu versions are identical.

It does seem like DEP-14 has thought of these complications.  My concern is
that these should be rare so it seems nicer to optimize for the common
(simple) case and allow for the more complicated branch names when needed.

Cheers,
-Barry