Re: Packaging the Jupyter project suite

Hi,

Le 18/09/2015 17:49, Julien Puydt a écrit :
I would like to package the Jupyter suite of software (ex-IPython).

Someone asked on IRC if Jupyter was a fork of IPython : no, it's the same upstream, who broke it (or modularized it if you prefer) into chunks, under the "Jupyter project" umbrella.

Of course, that makes quite a few packages to prepare, with a big
dependency graph. I already sent a few ITP (pickleshare, traitlets), a
few RFS (path.py), some are in NEW (ipython-genutils)...

There is also something else to discuss since it used to be only IPython : how to transition.

Indeed, the current src:ipython package provides several binary packages: ipython (shell for Python 2), ipython3 (shell for Python 3), ipython-qtconsole (Qt shell for Python 2), ipython3-qtconsole (Qt shell for Python 3), ipython-notebook-common (data for the HTML IPython notebook), ipython-notebook (HTML IPython notebook for Python 2), ipython3-notebook (HTML IPython notebook for Python 3) and ipython-doc (documentation).

But now, IPython upstream contains (afaik) what used to be in ipython and ipython3. There is an upstream qtconsole which should correspond to ipython-qtconsole and ipython3-qtconsole. And there is an upstream notebook which should correspond to ipython-notebook-common, ipython-notebook and ipython3-notebook.

So, how does one do so users of those packages get the future new ones (I'm sure a transition bug to release.debian.org will be needed)? What does one do to the bugs in the current src:ipython package?

Snark on #debian-python

PS: I still have a path.py stuck in NEW, and traitlets and testpath in RFS.