Re: Python 2, Python 3, Stretch & Buster

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:14:28AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

> So, round one of all of this is getting the critical path *under* each
> of our services ready, so that when we need to migrate, we don't need
> to scramble.

There is another constraint that I forgot: the production environment is
Debian Stable, which will soon mean Jessie. If a python2-only module
gets ported to python3 in jessie+1, to use it for debian.org services
the python3 version also needs to be maintained in backports.

For example, I am about to add python-git as a dependency to
nm.debian.org, as I need it to parse the stream of changes that I get
via the keyring.debian.org git changelog, and python-git is python2-only
in Jessie[1]. Having python3-git in jessie+1 won't be enough to make
nm.debian.org deployable with python3: python3-git will also need to be
in jessie-backports, and with a commitment to keep it up to date with
security uploads, because I'm going to run it every night to parse git
logs that are obtained via potentially insecure network connections.

Enrico

[1] I've recently been really sad to figure out that python-git is
    python2-only, and so is dulwich. As a personal policy, if I start a
    new python project now I start it with python 3.4. I had to start a
    new project with python2 because of that, and I felt dirty.
--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>